Whether you plan to relocate overseas or embark on a length vacation to one or more foreign countries, you know the importance of packing appropriately and tying up any loose ends at home before you leave. Your passports are secure, mail is forwarded or placed on hold, and any interference in your children's school is handled to suit everyone. If you own a pet, however, you have two options: you can board at a local kennel or – if it's necessary that your pup or cat come along – you arrange for special pet transportation.
While pets are permitted to fly domestically through various airlines, that is not the case with Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Hawaiian flights. To ensure your dog or cat makes it safely to your destination, the services of a pet transport service are required. As you research possible transporters to carry your beloved family friend on its trip, you no doubt will have questions about care and procedure. To assist in making the right decision for the money you will spend, these suggested questions to ask the services can help.
1) Do they arrange for transportation from home to the departure airport, and from the arrival airport to the final destination? Find out if you are responsible for bringing your pet when you leave.
2) Do they sedate pets for the transport? If you are concerned about allergic reactions or other risks, make sure you know beforehand.
3) Are travel kennels supplied or do you need to bring your own?
4) Will the company board pets once they arrive at their destination city in the event you are delayed? If so, will it cost extra?
5) Is the company insured? Is there a pet health specialist on board with the pets in the event of an emergency?
6) How are the pets shipped? What is the condition of the cargo area?
7) Do they have a limit on height and weight of pets? If not, does the price rise in accordance with a pet's height and weight?
8) Do they provide food for the trip, or do you need to have it ready?
Once you have your answers, weigh your options and the quotes given you to ship your animals. A lengthy vacation or relocation is an exciting time for the entire family, and it's important that your four-footed friends safely share in the experience in the capable hands of a pet transportation service .